India No 1 In Test

Sunday, December 6, 2009
Zaheer Khan's five wickets bowled India to an emphatic win, one that took them to No. 1 in the ICC Test rankings.After 77 years, India become No 1 in Test.

The fifth and final day of the third and penultimate Test match of the series on six down for 274 on Sunday, Sri Lanka faced the daunting task of avoiding the unavoidable, but speedster Zaheer Khan ensured the nation did not have to wait for its moment of glory for long, slicing through the remaining four wickets. Team India defeated Sri Lanka by an innings and 24 runs to win the three match Test series 2-0 and claim the top spot in the ICC Test ranking



Tendulkar: "Fantastic to be at this position. I have been waiting a long time to get to this position (No 1). In fact just not me, entire nation. I thought when Gary (Kirsten) and Paddy (Paddy Upton), along with Robin Singh and Venkatesh Prasad, all credit to them for handling the team brilliantly. Also all the players have worked very hard in the last 18 months. Right from no 1 batter to no 7 (MS bats at no 7) we have a solid batting line-up. This pitch was a brilliant wicket. There was some turn on the first day and I knew one roll would settle it down and it did." A smiling Tendulkar then adds, " I have told Yuvraj Singh not to call me Grandpa . I have lots of names for him too and I can expose him there! No retirement as long as I am enjoying the game." 


No comments:

Post a Comment